Central VT New Directions Coalition

  • Increase font size
  • Default font size
  • Decrease font size

Current prEvents: How to talk to your kids about substance abuse


Current prEvents; a new monthly prevention column in the Times Argus for parents, policy makers, community members

Central Vermont New Directions Coalition is producing Current prEvents, in collaboration with The Washington County Youth Service Bureau, as part of the Partnership for Success (PFS) grant with the Vermont Department of Health. It is written by representatives of area nonprofits and organizations aimed at better serving our young people across Washington County. Topics will cover a variety of current prevention issues including Tobacco, Alcohol, Marijuana, Opiates, Heroin, Other drugs, Social Hosting, Law Enforcement, The Role of Schools, Health and Wellness, Prevention, Treatment, and Recovery. The column will give a brief overview, focus on a message and offer advice on how best to start the discussion. Current prEvents will appear the third Monday of each month in the local section. We hope you find the information valuable to ongoing discussions you have at home.

By ANN GILBERT     December 15, 2014

Our kids live in a different world than the one we grew up in. Youth deal with family, technology, media, school, friends, romance, jobs, changing bodies, self-esteem, money, and more. They are trying to figure out who they are, who they will become, and how to live. They also have many opportunities and choices in their lives. How do we prepare our kids for a world that neither they nor we can predict? By focusing on skills rather than rules. By cultivating healthy habits that don’t allow space for unhealthy behaviors. This is the time to promote healthy activities and equip our youth with tools to make good decisions, including the prevention of use and abuse of substances. How do we create a culture where our young people choose not to use substances that ultimately bring harm and despair not just to themselves but also to their friends and families? How can we stop something before it starts?


December is National Impaired Driving Prevention Month

This news from MADD, Mothers Against Drunk Driving:

The month of December is one of the busiest on the nation's roadways, and also one of the most dangerous. With the holidays coming up, there will be an increase in social events that involve alcohol, and data from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration shows that this results in an increase in DUIs and fatal drunk-driving crashes around the holidays.

During December 2012, 830 people lost their lives in crashes involving a drunk driver.

That's why December has been designated National Impaired Driving Prevention Month, a time to raise awareness about the consequences of driving under the influence of alcohol and drugs. In issuing his proclamation, President Obama urges every American to "dedicate ourselves to driving safely and responsibly, and to promoting these behaviors among our family and friends." Click here to read the proclamation.

- See more at: http://www.madd.org/blog/2014/december/national-impaired-driving.html#sthash.XPm9ZY6D.dpuf


Quit smoking in 2015 and make it a year for the history books!

aboveThe start of a new year is a time of new beginnings and a great time to set goals. People across Vermont are quitting smoking for many reasons, and you can read their stories at http://802quits.org/real-stories.

Is quitting smoking or another type of tobacco one of your goals for 2015? You don’t have to do it alone.

802Quits provides you with advice, tips and tools, including four ways to get help:

• By phone at 800-QUIT-NOW http://802quits.org/quit-help-by-phone/

• In-person with a Vermont Quit Partner, a team of people in communities across Vermont devoted to providing support and motivation to help Vermont tobacco users through the quitting process http://802quits.org/in-person-quit-help/

• Online at http://802quits.org

• Your way, with the helpful tips and tools at http://802quits.org


Now Hiring!

Prevention Educator/Youth Outreach        20 hours/week

Job Summary: Coordinate coalition’s youth prevention education efforts. Work with CVNDC staff, local middle and high schools, coaches, youth groups, and VT Department of Health to promote decreased substance use and encourage healthy lifestyles. Projects include working with youth and young adults; implementing prevention activities and campaigns; and collaborating with schools, parents and the community around tobacco and second hand smoke, as well as alcohol and other drug prevention.


Substance Awareness Training at U-32, a Success

On Thursday, December 11, Debby Haskins, counselor/coach/parent/teacher, worked with 7th and 8th grade students focusing on healthy decision making around alcohol, tobacco, and other drugs (ATOD). That evening, parents, community members and U-32 principals learned about:

  • Choices students make and decision-making strategies related to alcohol, tobacco, and other drugs,
  • The 5 Myths about Marijuana and the new research-based impact of marijuana on the brain,
  • and viewed the short, powerful video, “THEN AND NOW’

View the trailer: http://www.edventi.com/products/then-and-now/

Door prizes included a $25 gas card, two La Brioche gift cards, and a $25 gift card to Bear Pond Books.

The evening was filmed by ORCA Media and will be available to be viewed shortly. Watch this spot.

The next U-32 Parent Group topic will include "sexting," cyberbullying and appropriate use of technology.

  • «
  •  Start 
  •  Prev 
  •  1 
  •  2 
  •  Next 
  •  End 
  • »

Page 1 of 2